Table of Contents Show
- Deleting unnecessary files
- Remove unused programs
- Clear browser cache and cookies
- Clean up your registry
- Install the latest update
- Run built-in Windows troubleshooter
- Optimize your Windows settings
- How to clean up your window 10 computer to run faster by Avoiding Fake Software
- Scan for malware and virus
- Closing unused programs
- Defragment your hard drive
Computer hardware can become cluttered with files and programs. This can slow down the computer and make it difficult to run programs and access files. To speed up your computer, you need to clean up the files and programs on your computer.
This article will look at how to clean up computer to run faster in windows 10. By following these steps, you can get the computer running as fast as possible. Windows 7/8 and 11 users can still follow along.
Deleting unnecessary files
Cleaning up the computer can involve deleting unnecessary files. This process can help free up disk space and improve the performance of your computer. There are a few things to keep in mind when deleting files to clean up the computer:
1. Review your computer’s hard drive to identify unnecessary files. Unnecessary files can include old photos, videos, and documents by listing the files you want to delete. This will help you prioritize the files and determine which ones to delete.
However, be aware that a large file can also delete important information or data you need. Before deleting any files, make sure you have a backup plan in place if something goes wrong.
2. Use the “storage sense” function on your computer’s operating system to delete unnecessary files. For example, if you have Windows 10, press the Windows key + X to open the “start menu,” then select “Settings,” and then “System.” From there, select “Storage.” From the list of options, you will see how your storage is used by category groups such as Apps & features, Temporary files, desktop, and others.
Choose from the list you want and follow the screen instructions. You can also find the option in the control panel.
3. Make sure you know what you’re deleting. Some files may be necessary for the computer to operate correctly and if you’re unsure whether a file is necessary, try to find information about it online. There may be a simple reason why it’s needed.
4. Don’t delete anything that you won’t be able to recover if necessary.
Remove unused programs
Another way to clean up your PC is to uninstall unused programs. Running a computer with too many programs open can slow it down. Unused programs can also take up disk space and memory, impacting performance.
Here are some tips for cleaning up a computer to run faster:
1. Uninstall programs and remove temporary files. This includes programs you don’t use every day, programs that you installed but never used, and programs that you stopped using but still took up space on your hard drive. To do this, use the Add/Remove Programs app in Control Panel to delete unused programs from your PC. You can also delete temporary files with an application like CCleaner. This can help your PC boot faster.
2. Delete unused folders. This includes all the folders you don’t use, including the Downloads folder and your Internet cache. This can improve your PC’s speed and clear out the desktop.
Clear browser cache and cookies
Cleaning your browser history and cookies is a quick and easy way to jump-start things. This will help eliminate any unnecessary hidden files and processes from taking up space on your hard drive, which can, in turn, make your windows PC run faster. To do this, follow these steps:
Mozilla Firefox users:
Open Mozilla Firefox. Click the menu button ☰, > Settings.
Select Privacy & Security, scroll to Cookies and Site Data, and then click Clear Data. Check mark both Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content, and then hit Clear. A confirmation box will appear. Click Clear Now to proceed to finish.
Microsoft Edge users:
Open Microsoft Edge. Click the menu button … > Settings. Under Clear browsing data, choose what to clear. Check mark Cookies and saved website and Cached data and files, and then hit Clear to proceed to finish.
Google Chrome users:
Open Google Chrome. Click the menu button ⋮ > More Tools > Clear browsing data. On the Clear browsing data window, select which time range you want to clear. Check mark Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files, and then hit Clear data to proceed to finish.
Clean up your registry
The registry is one key area in a computer where all your settings and preferences are stored. Over time, this can lead to problems with a computer, including slower performance and crashes. Fortunately, there’s a quick and easy way to improve PC performance. This section will show you how to clean up your windows computer to run faster by using a free third-party registry cleaner.
Thankful to CCleaner, it is a popular tool for Windows users who want to clean up their computer’s systems registry.
Here’s how to use it:
Download and install CCleaner. Launch the application and choose which action you want to perform. Hold for the application to find any system stability issues. Click Start and Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect when it is done. Note: follow screen instructions to complete, as the software does get updates from time to time.
Install the latest update
There are several ways to clean up your PC to help it run faster, which includes installing the latest updates. It is recommended to do so when your PC gets too slow, error messages appear, and it may even freeze.
To help fix this problem, follow these steps:
Check for updates by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.
If there are any updates available, install them or click on “Check for updates“. Restart your PC after the updates are installed.
You can also use the Windows System Restore tool or a similar program to return a computer back to its previous state which can improve the performance.
To do so, Click the Start Menu button, search for the control panel in the search box area and click Control Panel from the results. In the open Control Panel, search for Recovery and select Recovery > Open System Restore > click Next. Lastly, follow the screen instructions, choose the restore point related to either driver or update, and then select Next to Finish the process and restart the computer system.
Run built-in Windows troubleshooter
Windows has built-in troubleshooters that can help you resolve various issues. If you’re having trouble with your PC, you should try the simple troubleshooting steps suggested by the Windows 10 built-in troubleshooters.
Troubleshooting can clean up or fix your PC issues and make Windows work the way you want it to. Even if you don’t have any problems, running troubleshooters can help make a computer run more smoothly.
Let’s look at how to clean up windows 10 computers to run faster with the built-in troubleshooters to fix various issues that might be causing a computer to slow down or stop working altogether.
The built-in troubleshooters are a series of simple, automated steps to fix various issues on a computer system. If you’re having trouble with your desktop, you should try the Troubleshooting steps.
The first step is to open Settings from the Start menu. When you’re in Settings, select Update & Security > In the next window that opens, choose Troubleshoot. Select the troubleshooting type you want to do, then select Run the troubleshooter to start the process. Lastly, allow the troubleshooter to run and follow the screen instructions to answer any questions.
Optimize your Windows settings
Windows is a great operating system, but there are some settings that you can optimize to make it even better with a few tweaks to your preferences.
Here are some tips on how to optimize your Windows settings to make your PC work faster and easier:
1. Make sure your PC has the latest updates installed. This will include security updates, bug fixes, and improvements for Windows.
2. Use the built-in Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. While these are useful tools, they can still slow down your computer.
3. Disabling background services can be useful because some apps can be CPU intensive and drain your battery. For example, If you want to save battery life and improve the computer’s performance, you should switch off some of these services, such as reducing battery usage, which will turn off some features running.
4. Make sure your apps are updated. Some apps can slow down your pc, including third-party antivirus software and some games. Keep them updated or disabled, check the computer performance, and compare them to how it was before.
5. Close unused applications you don’t use every day, and you can do so by using Task Manager.
6. Keep your browser and computer up to date. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge for more information about keeping your browser and computer up to date with the latest security updates, bug fixes, and feature updates that help improve your experience on Microsoft Edge.
How to clean up your window 10 computer to run faster by Avoiding Fake Software
PC users frequently rely on software to help run their devices more efficiently. However, there are times when using fake software can slow down a computer. This is because these programs don’t always do what they are supposed to and can affect the performance of your device.
If you’re not sure if the software you’re using is real, it’s best to avoid it altogether. Block Online Ads While browsing the web, most people are likely to come across a website with an ad they want to see.
However, there is a chance that this ad could be fake, and when you click on it, the computer can be infected with malware that can attack and steal your data. Secondly, fake software may use up valuable resources on the computer, such as memory or processing power, which could impact your overall performance.
Scan for malware and virus
Scanning for malware and virus is a sure way to clean up a PC and make it faster. Unfortunately, malware and viruses are constantly evolving, so the best prevention method is to regularly scan the computer for any signs of infection to ensure that your computer is running as smoothly as possible and that any potential threats have been eliminated.
Several free and paid versions of malware and antivirus software are legitimate programs that are highly capable of detecting and removing malware from a computer and have a very user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use the program.
The most effective and easiest way to prevent malware is to update your operating system and programs. Most malware is installed through a program you install an application from the Internet.
Closing unused programs
Too many programs sit idle on computer systems, unused but taking up valuable space. Closing them can free up disk space and make the computer run faster. Don’t leave programs running in the background. Some programs run in the background without your knowledge. These are running in the background; they can be stopped by using Task Manager to close them. However, some programs run in the background to provide you with information.
Clean windows computer to run faster using task manager to close unused programs:
Press Control + Alt + Delete on the keyboard. A Preparing security settings window comes up with a list of available options. Choose Task Manager. Select the programs running in the background you’re not using. Click End task and exit.
Defragment your hard drive
Running your PC with a cluttered hard drive can slow it down and lead to a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). You can clean up the files by defragmenting the hard drive and making your PC run faster. To defragment your hard drive, do the following:
Go to Control Panel, then click System and Security. Under Administrative Tools, open Defragment and Optimize Drives, and click the disk drive you want to defragment and optimize. Click Optimize button. Also, you can select the schedule you want by clicking on setting and, choosing a date & time, and following the screen instructions to finish.
By following the simple tips mentioned above, anyone can clean up their computer and make it run faster on Windows 10. This will not only improve the performance of the computer system but also extend its lifespan. Freeing up some space on your hard drive and making your computer run faster!